Ficus elastica or India rubber plant is noted for its thick, leathery dark green leaves that add an exotic look wherever you place them. Young plants start off small, but can quickly fill an empty corner. You’ll find them to be very forgiving houseguests. They work hard cleaning the air, and have a high transpiration rate, increasing a room’s humidity levels.
Fuss Factor*: 2
Light: Does best in bright light, but can tolerate lower levels.
Watering Frequency: Allow the top 2-3 inches of soil to dry out between waterings.
Soil: No special requirements, but will do best in organic well-draining soil.
Humidity: Will thrive with normal household humidity, but misting every so often in the drier winter months will be appreciated.
Pests: Can be affected by mealy bugs, scale and mites.
- Wipe with warm water and dish soap or Neem oil every so often to avoid pests and prevent dust build up.
- Keep out of direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time as this can burn leaves and cause them to lose their variegated coloring.
- Yellowing, browning, or wilting leaves are indicators of improper watering.
- As your Ficus grows in height, you may need to support the trunk and branches by staking or tying them to keep them growing upright.
- Toxic if ingested by pets or humans.
Zones: Indoor Use or Outdoors in warmer zones 10-11
*Fuss Factor: We grade our plants on level of care from 1 to 5.
- Low Maintenance Marvels – great choice for new plant parents
- Easy to Care For, Easy to Love
- Relatively low maintenance, but will need some regular attention
- Apply TLC, you’ll love the results
- Recommended for Helicopter Plant Parents – Labor intensive, but so worth it