Calathea or Prayer plants have a handpainted look that brings vibrant color and interest to any spot. Following their circadian rhythms, Calatheas open their leaves upwards towards the sun throughout the day to maximize their light intake. At night, they return to a resting position. With just some attention, you’ll be rewarded with beautiful, ornate foliage and crazy pops of color.
Fuss Factor*: 4
Light: Does best in bright indirect to medium light.
Watering Frequency: Allow the top 2-3 in. to dry before watering. Loves moist soil, but it is easy to overwater Calatheas.
Soil: No special requirements
Humidity: These are tropical plants that adore high humidity. If they are in drier environment, indulge them with a boost of humidity by misting, or using a humidifier. They’ll be very happy when placed in a bathroom or kitchen.
Pests: Can be affected by spider mites and mealy bugs
- Avoid prolonged periods of direct sunlight as this can cause leaves to burn.
- Using distilled or filtered water is always best.
- Yellowing, browning, or wilting leaves are indicators of improper watering or unfavorable humidity.
Zones: Indoor Use or Outdoors in warmer zones 10-11
*Fuss Factor: We grade our plants on level of care from 1 to 5.
- Low Maintenance Marvels – great choice for new plant parents
- Easy to Care For, Easy to Love
- Relatively low maintenance, but will need some regular attention
- Apply TLC, you’ll love the results
- Recommended for Helicopter Plant Parents – Labor intensive, but so worth it