Our Top Five “College-Bound” Plant Picks
Hard to believe, but Summer is winding down.
We bet you’re already compiling lists of things you’ll need to take to school, whether you’re heading for a dorm or an apartment share. While gathering your gear, don’t forget to include a plant or two. They’ll beautify your space, help to cleanse dorm room air… and maybe even remind you of home. Get ready to take some notes: here are our top five “Dorm Friendly” picks.
- Aloe Vera. Paper cut, bug bite, sunburn – Aloe Vera is the recommended natural treatment for many skin irritants. You need only cut away the outer skin from a leaf, and rub the sap onto the affected area. Keep the plant in a bright spot and water when the soil is moderately dry. With just a bit of care, the Aloe Vera will offer up some very welcome TLC. (And who wouldn’t appreciate that when they’re away from home?)
- Snake Plant. We bet there was a Snake Plant in your bedroom at home, because Mom knows the plant is an effective air purifier. Keeping one in your dorm room is a smart way to cleanse the air. There are several different leaf varieties, each adds a unique look to dorm décor.
- Money Tree. Legend has it that a Money Tree brings good luck and helps remove stress. That’s quite the dynamic duo when you’ve got papers and exams to complete. Just keep the Tree in medium to bright light, and water regularly for evenly moist soil.
- Cacti. So many varieties! Just pick your favorite and place it in a special spot. You’ll get kudos for your green thumb, but truly, cacti need minimal care. A bit of water and bright light is all it takes to keep them happy.
- ZZ Plant.This evergreen is “top of its class” for easy care. It will thrive in full to partial shade. It’s also drought resistant, (very forgiving should you forget to water regularly). An extremely effective air purifier, the ZZ Plant may even improve the quality of your sleep, as it constantly releases oxygen into the air.